Sun CD-ROM FAQ
Last modified: Sat Nov 9 00:46:31 EST 1996
- Where can I find out more?
- What are the relevant newsgroups?
- As as overview, what are my options for using a CD-ROM on a Sun?
- What drives have been shown to work?
- What is doomed to fail?
- How do I know if my CD-ROM is not natively Sun compatible? What error message is displayed?
- What are the specifications of the SunCD, SunCD+, SunCD2+, SunCD4?
Booting a Sun from a Non-Sun CD-ROM
- I just modified the drive according to these directions. It boots
fine, but I get an "unrecognized vendor" error. Is this a problem?
- What do you do if you have an old Sun
that doesn't know about boot cdrom (or CD-ROMs for that matter)?
- Can I make a bootable tape from a CD?
- Not to look a gift horse in the
mouth, but why does my AppleCD 300 work for booting and mounting?
- If I have a drive that has 2048
bytes/block and want to be able to mount it (but not boot), what
are my options?
- Why does SunOS 4.1.1 bomb when I try to
mount CD-ROM discs and what can I do about it?
- Why can't I mount certain ISO-9660
discs and what does XAR have to do with it?
- How can I set up my kernel and drive to
mount all 6 discs from a Pioneer multi-disk CD-ROM reader?
- If I mount a PC-format CD, will SoftPC
let DOS applications access it?
- If none of this works, is there any
other way to access a PC CD-ROM?
SunCDs on Other Computers
- How do I mount a SunCD on my Macintosh,
assuming I have the right cabling?
- How do I use a SunCD under DOS?
- Can I use a CD-ROM to play audio CD's? What programs are available?
- My NEC CDR-1750 works fine as a drive, but I can't get it to play
audio CD's with workman, x_cdplayer, etc. How can I get it to work?
- Can I record audio tracks on a Sparcstation?
- Can I digitize audio tracks over the SCSI bus? (CDDA tracks)
- Why can't I read Electronic Books discs?
- Why can't I mount any XA discs (such as multisession PhotoCDs)?
- Are there any PD/shareware utilities for reading and converting
- OK, ALREADY! I get the point that multimedia features don't work
well with all of the solutions presented above? What are my options?
- Using a Toshiba 3401 CD-ROM Drive on a
SPARCstation Running Solaris
- Modifying Solaris 2.1 for PC type
- Modifying Solaris 2.4 to 2.5.1 for PC
type CD-ROM drives (Last Modified: November 9th, 1996)
Mike Frisch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Martin Hargreaves (email@example.com)